- Beat the con-men! Stay one step ahead and keep an eye on our consumer warnings...
Malta consumer organisations
|Below is a list of available consumer organisations in Malta that offer practical consumer assistance. Please click the links below to read more information on that organisation. If you can not see what you are looking for please do not hesitate to contact us to see if we can help further.|
It was set up in 1982 and is recognised as a ‘registered consumer association’ under the Consumer Affairs. It is a voluntary organisation and has a democratic structure in the sense that
all officials are elected annually. It is financed through membership fees.
The Consumers’ Association has four main principal areas of activity:
- Acting as a representative for the local consumers. It represents the local consumers on
several national Boards, among them the Consumers’ Affairs Council which is a
national board whose primary function is to advise the Minister responsible for consumer
affairs on policy and legislation.
- Users’ Boards of Public Utilities and also represents the local consumers in international
- Educating the consumers. Using the media such as local newspapers and radio programmes to educate the
consumers at large.
- Acting as a pressure group. It comments on new legislation and periodically issues press
releases to the local media.
A consumer may submit a complaint either to the Consumer Affairs Directorate or to a registered Consumer Association.
The Consumer Affairs Directorate advises consumers/traders in general as to their rights and responsibilities in line with Consumer Protection Legislation.
Deal with consumers who have a cross border contract that is now in dispute.